On the advice of union transport minister Nitin Gadkari, The Nagpur Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (NMRCL) has decided to expand the under construction metro rail project, a report from TOI said. RITES has been asked to prepare a detailed project report (DPR) on the same. It will be a 34 km expansion with five lines.
Some of the highlights of the expansion mentioned in the report are -
- The longest stretch will be of 13 km from Mihan to Butibori
- Next is 10 km stretch from Automotive Square to Kamptee
- The metro corridor from Lokmanya nagar to Hinga will also be extended upto 2 km
- A branch line from Wasudeo, connecting Hinga Depot and Wadi towards Sitabuldi covering the 5 km of length. The corridor will be extended up to Kapshi from Prajapati Nagar.
- The cost of this corridor will be 200 crore per km and total amount will go upto Rs 7,000 crore
- At present, Project’s total cost is Rs 8,680 crore
- RITES is also supposed to prepare a DPR on ‘The Orange City Street Stretch’. This stretch will join Jaiprakash nagar metro rail station and Rachana Ring road station. It will be of 6 km and cost will be 1,000 to 2,000 crore.
Information source: timesofindia
Image source: facebook
Title image: railnews