South East Central Railway (SECR) cleared all the encroachments in the way of doubling of Nagpur-Kalamna railway line to clear up the congestion and also to get additional trains.
Between May 15 & 19, SECR officials with the help of Railway Protection Force (RPF) cleared all encroachments on the railway land near Dhobi Nagar.
The project was announced in the 2007-08 railway budget, with an estimated cost of Rs 21 crore, which has escalated to Rs 37 crore.
According to SECR’s Divisional Railway Manager (DRM) Amit Kumar Agrawal, 187 encroachments were in way of the project.
"We removed 114 encroachments on January 19, 2016. Of the remaining 73 encroachments, 57 were resettled at Wanjra by the NMC. The remaining illegal structures were cleared last week." DRM told TOI.
SECR has now set August 15 as the deadline to start the Kalamna-Nagpur double line project.
By July 15, civil and electrical works will start followed by signalling work, which will be done by the Central Railway," Agarwal added.
A senior railway official reported that at least 23 mail/express trains plied daily between Nagpur and Kalamna. Of these, 16 moved on Kalamna line and seven on Itwari line. More pressure is on Kalamna line as trains move under absolutely block system.
"Double line will allow more trains to pass and ease congestion. Trains will not have to wait at the outer signal. More trains from Bilaspur direction can be admitted on Platform 8 at Santra Market side," said Agrawal.
This project is really important for Nagpur's development and also to lessen the jam.
Information source: timesofindia
Title image: indiarailinfo