Many actors have played the legendary role of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, but who played it the best? The paradoxical qualities, the science of deduction, the miraculous detective logic, the interesting black moods and the unfathomable self-soothing addictions are a few simple ways to put forth the idea of the famous character. Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch has been playing Holmes since years now and today, on his birthday, we give you 10 reasons which prove that he is the best there is:
1. He learned how to play violin in a week
Its not all show and no substance. He is just as brilliant as his on screen avatar.
2. He deliberately lost his weight for his role as Sherlock
The reason he lost weight was because he wanted to portray Sherlock "as a character with such high intelligence that it manifests itself in a physical, ‘mind over matter’ sort of way."
3. He lives by the rule ‘nothing is impossible’
He says impossible itself makes it ‘I’m possible’.
4. He has voiced various documentaries and audiobooks
Along with Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare works, he has narrated many other books and documentaries.
5. He dyed his hair for his role in Sherlock
His hair being naturally auburn, he dyed his hair for his role in Sherlock as well as Star Trek.
6. He has survived a kidnap attempt
Kidnapped at gun point in South Africa in 2005, he was tied up and thrown in a car boot. Later, he was freed with no explanation for what had happened.
Does it remind you of any Sherlock Holmes scene with a mystery?
7. There are around 100,000 words of fan-fiction dedicated to Benedict Cumberbatch
Y’all know what all the fuss is about *winkwink*
8. In 2013, he was mentioned in twitter around a million times
After a couple of years of the release of the show, people fell head over heels for him. And he’s worth it, no?
9. He considers himself to be weird looking
He is so down-to-earth that in an interview he said, "If you put me in a room with Brad and George and all of them, you do kind of go, 'Lovely, yes. Handsome, yes. Oh, strange-looking guy'."
10. He has his master’s degree in ‘Classical Acting For The Professional Theatre’
He did his masters from the oldest drama school in United Kingdom, The London Academy of Music And Dramatic Art. We believe that the hardwork paid off!
11. Steven Spielberg has called him "the best Sherlock on screen"
And so do we all! He is peerless in his portrayal of the eccentric genius.
Birthday greetings, Benedict Cumberbatch!
We all love you xo
Title image: Movieplot