Chennai Doctors Successfully Remove A Live Cockroach From A Woman’s Skull

Surgeons at the Government Stanley Hospital extracted a live cockroach from a woman's skull, close to her brain.

chennai, cockroach, stanley hospital, surgeon, doctors
Reacho_Header

In an astonishing case, doctors in Chennai at the Government Stanley Hospital successfully eradicated an alive cockroach from a woman’s skull, on Wednesday.

According to reports, 42-year-old Selvi who lives in Injambakkam and works as a domestic help woke up around midnight on Tuesday, when she felt a weird sensation around her nose and eyes. When her pain exacerbated, she asked her son-in-law to take her to the nearby clinic.

Selvi, was fast asleep when she felt something crawling inside her nostril. She tried to pull it outside but, it had already gone in. Unable to tolerate the excruciating pain, Selvi went to the clinic where the doctors told her to visit Stanley Medical Hospital.

At the hospital, while performing the nasal endoscopy, surgeons were stunned to see a living cockroach sitting inside her skull between the two eyes. “This is the first such case I have seen in my three decades of practice,” said Dr M N Shankar, head of the ENT department at the hospital.

Selvi said, she was in excruciating pain the night before she visited the hospital. “I could not explain the feeling but I was sure it was some insect. There was a tingling sensation. Whenever it moved, it gave me a burning sensation in my eyes. I spent the entire night in discomfort, sitting up and waiting for dawn to go to Stanley hospital after getting the reference of a doctor from my employer,” she was quoted saying.

The doctors said it was not easy for them to remove the cockroach because of its location. “We tried to use vacuum suction to suck out the insect but that was not possible due to its large size,” Dr Shankar said.

On the other hand, doctors were grateful that Selvi turned up at the right time, before the situation got worse. “The cockroach was sitting in the skull base, between the two eyes, close to the brain.” Dr Shankar said. “If left inside, it would have died before long and the patient would have developed infection which would have spread to the brain.”

Title image: grubstreet


Like our facebook page to stay updated. You can also download Reacho app on Android or iOS to get interesting stories at your fingertips.

News Entertainment Food Travel World Events Nagpur Pune Reacho

himanshu pitale (WRITER)

An ardent music enthusiast, a true idealist and an INFP. Loves to play football and volleyball. Enjoys watching TV series and movies, irrespective of their genre. Obsessed with role-playing games. Believes in ‘live-and-let live’. Fascinated by the mysteries of the unknown. More of a ‘try me’ than a ‘why me’ kind.

Reacho_Body