By the end of the season, Monica and Chandler were married, Rachel and Ross got back together and Phoebe found her soul-mate in Mike, leaving Joey again as a loner (which he was perfectly OK with). Seeing Phoebe’s bonding with Joey and knowing that they can be the best of the friends makes you want to pair them up. But some say a resounding NO to that.
Let’s see these reasons why Lisa Kudrow as “Phoebe Buffay” and Matt LeBlanc as “Joey Tribbiani” never hooked up on the long running sitcom:
1. There’s more to friendship between opposite genders than what is generalized
There’s a lot more to a guy and a girl who have been friends for long than what people preconceive them as. And they set a pronounced example for that.
2. One doesn’t have to find a life-partner within a friend-circle
Adding a new character Mike to the series and pairing him with Phoebe tells us so much about why it is not mandatory for us to find a life-partner in our own group of friends.
3. Some friends remain together without ending up as a couple
They chose friendship over love when the makers didn’t pair Phoebe and Joey. The epitome of friendship and how artistic and sweet a friendship needs to be was portrayed to us via the sitcom through Phoebe and Joey. Nonetheless, all friendships don’t need to end up in love, some are admired as they are.
4. There’s nothing like it when they became Ken Adams & Regina Phelange
5. If the makers paired them, the whole group would have been married to each other
It would have been: Ross and Rachel, Monica and Chandler and Phoebe and Joey. It would be more than just a coincidence and as far as the authenticity lies, it would have been destroyed. It would have been a picturesque and superficial ending, which would have taken away the show’s limelight.
6. We would have stopped hearing ‘How you doin?’
Yes, that’s right. Joey was shown as a womanizer throughout the series and if he were to pair up with Phoebe, he would have to change his whole character and the entire series would get affected by it. No more ‘how you doin?’
7. We cannot always have a perfect endings
The ending that we got to have on F.R.I.E.N.D.S. was pretty much a happy one. Except that Joey ended up alone. But hasn’t he always wanted to be a suave bachelor and chase girls? The Joey-Phoebe relationship was a platonic one and it would have been tumbled-down if they were to end up together.
8. Because, they could be this
All at once.
9. Special friendship that joey and phoebe shared
Lastly, it was a love based on having and giving and sharing and receiving. And the love that they give and have is shared and received. And through this having and giving and sharing and receiving, we too can share and love and have... and receive.
10. Well jokes apart, pairing them up will be like a moo point
Title image: Youtube