Tyrion Lannister is our favourite and Peter Dinklage is at the soul of this obsession. We wish him a very happy birthday as he turns 47.
1. Peter Haydon Dinklage was born with achondroplasia, a common form of dwarfism and he is 4 ft 5 in (1.35 m) tall.
2. He was not always so easygoing about stares or comments over his size.
At the Toronto International Film Festival he said,
“As an adolescent, I was bitter and angry, and I definitely put up these walls. But the older you get, you realize you just have to have a sense of humor.”
3. Dinklage got his first taste of theatrical success in a fifth grade production of The Velveteen Rabbit (Do you know it’s Chandler’s Favourite?)
4. His breakout role was in the 2003 film The Station Agent for which he received Independent Spirit and Screen Actors Guild Award nominations for Best Actor.
5. Dinklage appeared in the 2007 British comedy film Death at a Funeral, reprising the role in the 2010 American remake.
6. Dinklage has been a vegetarian since the age of 16, he supports Farm Sanctuary and has served as the spokesperson for the organization's Walk for Farm Animals.
7. He is married to Erica Schmidt since 2005. They also have a beautiful daughter named Zelig Dinklage.
8. He portrayed Bolivar Trask in the superhero film ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ and was nominated for Best Villain at the MTV Movie awards.
9. He won an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series and for Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film in 2011 for the one and only Tyrion Lannister.
10. Co-creator Dan Weiss claims that both Dinklage and his character, Tyrion Lannister, are blessed with 'a core of humanity covered by a shell of sardonic wit.'
“Sure, I can understand that. I think Tyrion can be the most relatable to the modern sensibility because he’s not a hero and not a villain. He has a sense of humour even in the worst of times. Who relates to Ned Stark? Is he anybody sitting at the dinner table? But Tyrion is one of the dinner party.”
11. At the Emmys he thanked his his dog sitter after receiving the award. “I would like to thank my dog sitter, whose name is Kitty, for taking care of my dog Kevin back in New York, while I’m here,” he said as his wife, actress Erica Schmidt, giggled in the audience.
12. In January, the actor Peter Dinklage surprised himself during his own Golden Globe acceptance speech. “I want to mention a gentleman I’ve been thinking about, in England,” he said. “His name is Martin Henderson. Google him.”
In October, Henderson, who is 37 and is 4-foot-2, was picked up and thrown by an unknown assailant in Somerset, England. He suffered partial paralysis and now requires a walker. He wanted to point out that media portrayal is, in part, the fault of actors who are dwarves. “You can say no. You can not be the object of ridicule.”
13. He once said on The Late Show with David Letterman that he had once tried to read the books the show is based upon, but got confused. He joked, "George Martin, our author, is probably going to kill my character soon because I mentioned that.”
We will hope you had a fun read and till GRRM makes up his mind, we sure will plan the riot if he kills you!