Coffee, an addictive brewed drink which is consumed by a huge number of people on a daily basis, not only serves as an anti-sleeping pill, an energy booster and a freshening drink, but is also a cure for headaches and also lowers risk of several serious diseases. Now anything in excess is bad and so is coffee. And when the pros and cons of coffee will keep you thinking about its intake, we at Reacho provide you these lesser known facts about coffee that you (might) have never known before:
1. Coffee was discovered by accident
In the 9th century, coffee was discovered by an Ethiopian Goat Herder by accident. And henceforth, coffee has been with us for over 11 centuries.
2. An ancient Arab woman could divorce her husband if he didn’t provide her with enough coffee
You read it right! A woman in Arab had all rights to separate from her husband if he doesn’t provide with enough supplement of fresh coffee. How great is that!
3. Coffee is originally produced from coffea plant
Coffee beans are in fact the seeds of the berries from the coffea plant which is actually a fruit. First they are separated, then dried, then roasted and finely grinded.
4. Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world
After oil, coffee tops the most traded product in the world.
5. On an average, a coffee industry employs 25 million people around the world
You can now imagine how significant the (accidental) discovery of coffee was.
6. Brazil is the king of coffee production
Brazil is not only the king of football, but also produces coffee like no other country.
7. Coffee, in Arabic, means The Wine of the Beans
The word coffee, derived from Arabic word Qahwa, originally means The Wine of the Beans’
8. You reduce the chance of becoming an alcoholic if you consume coffee twice a day
If you consume two cups of coffee every day, your risk of becoming an alcoholic reduces to 43%; Apparently because you get addicted to coffee. *wink*
9. Coffee can be used as a moisturizer as well as a fertilizer
When this is not enough, these days coffee scrubs have hit the market adding up to its number of uses!
10. Coffee is consumed at the rate of 1400 million cups per day
Does your cup add up to the huge number?
Title image: Theluxuryspot