Zoya Akhtar’s road-trip-comedy-coming-of-age-drama-and-so-much-more film, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara hit the screens five years ago today, and was responsible for defining bachelor trips for an entire generation of Indian moviegoers. Much like the 2001 flick Dil Chahta Hai by the other Akhtar sibling, this followed the journey of three friends, Imran, Arjun and Kabir (played by Farhan Akhtar, Hrithik Roshan and Abhay Deol) as they discover a new country, discover themselves and renew their friendship.
Did you know that the song “Paint It Red” called for 16 TONS of tomatoes to recreate the La Tomatina festival? Read on for more amazing trivia you probably did not know about the film:
1. Farhan Akhtar is a certified skydiver, while Hrithik Roshan is a trained scuba diver.
Unlike both their characters, Imraan and Arjun who are shown as scared of heights and drowning respectively.
2. The song “Senorita” features the mayor of the town of Alájar, Andalucia where it was shot.
See this man in the white shirt who is grumpy because of the three men raising hell in his town?
3. The scene where Katrina Kaif is introduced was shot on a nude beach.
No big deal, just that (obviously nude) people kept coming into the frame and had to be shooed away for the film to remain family-friendly ;)
...is actually a Birkin bag by the label Hermes, a famous luxury fashion brand based in Paris. Only 12,000 euros btw!
5. The film was originally titled Running With The Bulls
But was later changed with a line from Rock On!’s title track.
6. The script for the film was ready back in 2007…
...and Shah Rukh Khan, Vivek Oberoi and Hrithik Roshan were supposed to play the lead roles! Hmm...imagine that!
7. The film is included as a case study in Marketing Management in B-schools in Spain.
And because it introduced picturesque Spain to us so beautifully (obviously boosting tourism), it is totally justified!
8. Anupam Kher played the role of Imraan’s adoptive father.
The scene was later edited out of the film.
9. Running with the bulls for the San Fermin festival was shot with real bulls.
“The bulls were truly about 2-3 feet away and we ran for our lives. The experience was out of this world. It took real guts”, is what Hrithik Roshan had to say about the shooting.
10. “Senorita” was recorded by telling the actors that the recordings were just a rehearsal.
Because they were too apprehensive about their singing. Well, with that bit of trickery (and some on the technicians’ part), we got a really memorable song!
And here’s your treat! All of those touching poems, penned by Javed Akhtar and voiced by Farhan Akhtar in his gravelly, soothing voice:
So share this with your friends and sit back for a major nostalgia trip! Ok Bwoys??
Title image: kwizoo