Let’s face it, women like Penny are next to non-existent. The more fortunate of us are like Bernadette, at best, with a razor sharp brain, and a body that is trying to match.
The majority of women identify with geek goddess Amy Farrah Fowler, more than anybody else. The socially awkward harp-playing neuroscientist played by Mayim Bialik (who, btw, is also a neuroscientist) is smart, blunt, takes no shit from her boyfriend and does not bow down to societal pressures to look a certain way.
Here are 10 times Amy was every woman’s role model on The Big Bang Theory:
1. When she was honest about all the ways our parents have been deceiving us all life:
"As my mom used to say, "When you're doing a puzzle, it's like you've got a thousand friends." She was full of fun lies like that."
2. When she made no bones about her desires:
Sheldon: Sheldon Cooper does not get lucky.
Amy: You and me both, brother.
3. When she gave the proper response for every “How’s life?” ever:
"Like everybody else's, subject to entropy, decay and eventual death. Thank you for asking."
4. When she called out the blatant objectification of women in pop culture:
Stuart: Can I help you find anything?
Amy: A comic that doesn't depict a woman whose bosom can be used as a flotation device.
5. When she exemplified “tough love”:
"Why don't you tell me what happened, and in a gentle, loving way, I'll explain to you why you're wrong."
6. When she loved her boyfriend, zombie-like face and all...:
"He's handsome, he's lanky, he's brilliant, and his skin has that pale, waxy quality."
7. ...but also called him out on his crappy sense of humour:
"Do you have any idea how hard it is to laugh at a knock knock joke that starts "Knock Knock Knock, Amy. Knock Knock Knock, Amy. Knock Knock Knock, Amy"?"
8. When her views on religious customs got an ‘Amen’ from all of us:
"I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance."
9. When she was prepared with ammunition to help out her bestie:
"You just say the word and I have a lab full of cocaine - addicted monkeys with nothing to lose."
10. And sometimes, she is as much a victim of social conditioning as we all are (but at least she knows that!):
"Sometimes you forget, I'm a lady. And, with that comes an estrogen - fueled need to page through thick glossy magazines that make me hate my body."
Here’s wishing Mayim Bialik a very Happy Birthday!
Title image: popsugar