Reliance’s much-awaited venture, Jio Infocomm was launched today with much fanfare in Mumbai.
To say that it indicates a seismic shift in the mobile landscape of our country would be doing disservice to the box of presents that was opened.
Let us tell you more about the ambitious venture:
1. It will be the largest 4G network in India right off the bat. It plans to cover 18,000 cities and towns and over 2 lakh villages.
2. The tariff plans will include internet for as low as Rs. 50 for 1 GB of data.
3. The mobile entertainment experience in Jio will be unprecedented. It will offer a library of 6000+ movies and 300+ entertainment channels.
4. There will be no roaming charges on the network and voice calls across the network will be absolutely free.
5. Jio has partnered with 7 handset manufacturers like Samsung, Micromax, among others and the affordable range of handsets will be starting at Rs 2999 by LYF.
6. Jio will not follow the industry practice of blackout days - occasions like Diwali when free SMS offers are not applicable because the volume tends to be too high.
7. Students will get extra discounts on the network.
Well, the news of the launch really did break the internet. Soon, Twitter and Facebook were flooded with people wondering about the state Jio’s rivals, like Vodafone and Airtel. And where there’s a scope to wonder, there’s a meme/tweet. Check out some of the best reactions:
Title image: Originaltips